Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sleep, Don't Weep


Firstly, I want to apologize for the length of my last post. I attempted to warn readers with the title, but I'm sure it was not nearly enough warning. To those of who you who read the whole thing, I am impressed.

Secondly, I have a package of Jesus band aides (which I acquired at the General Store in Spring Green), which is where I got the title for my last blog from. That being said, none of my band aides have baby Jesus on them; just full grown Jesus. Are there band aides that feature the entire cast from the Last Super? I would buy them. I will buy anything sacrilegious.

Now, on to the point.

As mentioned in my last blog (mixed in with a million other things), I was tested for a variety of sleep disorders this past week. It was quite an experience. I truly did not prepare myself properly. Upon arriving, I met the women who would be assisting and monitoring me during my tests. Both were very nice, but did not warn me. How was I to know? Perhaps google, but that is besides that point. If you are going to put glue all over my hair and head, I feel you should tell me first. That's right, glue.

During my EEG, I had to wear a cap of sorts, constructed from 256 electrodes. A gel was then placed under the electrodes so they would make better contact with my dome. I did not know the gel would turn to a firm glue. The next morning, when the test was over, and the cap removed, I was covered in crusty glue and circular indents that made it appear as though I was attacked by an octopus. It took me two days to get all the glue out of my hair and off of my skin (as my head was not the only place the electrodes were).

Here are some photos, as proof:


The test went well beyond the glue though. Everyone was lovely, especially when I would ask if I fell asleep, as that is part of my problem. I will fall asleep, and not entirely realize I was asleep until I see the clock and it's several hours later. The women seemed a bit confused when I'd ask if I'd fallen asleep as they were waking me. I suppose most people would be confused by this. It isn't a normal response, to say the least.

I will receive the results of my test on Friday, and go from there. Although I would love to hear that I'm totally fine, if a bit drowsy, I know that isn't the case. My sleep habits are bizarre, and have taken a critical toll on my daily life, as well as my school work. It's been very difficult for me to function on a typical level, and I'm hoping to receive some good news on Friday. Good news being that there is something happening, but we can fix it.

Until then, I will continue to nap throughout the day, and enjoy my warm bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment