Thursday, December 2, 2010

Tick Tick Ticker

Today, I had an echocardiogram. For those of you who are unfamiliar, it is essentially an ultrasound of your heart. I do not know when I will receive the results of this test, but hopefully soon. It wasn't a fun experience though. As nice as the technician was, I could have sworn she was going to break through my rib cage and actually get straight to my heart. It was uncomfortable.

In other news, Twitter fight! I'm a very in-your-face sort of person. I will defend someone to the end if I think they are right, or if they obviously need defending. In this instance, it was the former. Amanda Palmer, the incredible musician and artist, made a comment regarding the new TV show "Bridal Plasty" in which brides-to-be compete for plastic surgery before their wedding. One of Ms Palmer's comments was to the effect of "If you're fat, hit the gym. Fucking love yourself for fucks' sake". I am not word for word on that, but likely close.

Of course, someone was offended. Likely several people were, but one person I follow on twitter made it clear just how offended she was: Ms Beth Hommel. She is a member of Ms Palmer's team of assistants. I love her art, and enjoy her witty commentary. Unfortunately, on this particular day, Ms Hommel and I were on opposing sides.

I believe that you can control your body, and appearance. I believe that if you are happy with yourself, no comment can change that. I believe that being PC is ridiculous. I believe that if you are looking for something, whether it be ammo for a fight, personal attacks, unicorns, or Jesus, you're bound to find it somewhere. I don't think any of these beliefs are particularly outlandish, but not everyone must agree. Beth Hommel did not. I suspect she did not understand me very well, as can happen when limited to 140 characters. I will do my very best to explain.

I believe that being overweight is a life style choice. As someone who has struggled with an eating disorder, my body image has not always been a positive one. But the wonderful thing about your body is that you do possess the power to control it, whether than means dying your hair, getting a tattoo, or adjusting your weight. Over the past two years, I have been experiencing health problems that have created challenges for me when it comes to weight. Although I am still at a health weight, I am no longer at my ideal weight. But I have since made the choice to change that, with exercise, an improved diet, and herbal remedies.

I know plenty of individuals who suffer from medical conditions that make gaining or losing weight difficult, but not impossible. Even with health problems, their weight can be changed. I am not saying they should change their weight, just that if they wish to, they have the ability to. And in either direction. If they did choose to change their weight, it might be more challenging, or require different methods, but could still be done.

Each person can choose the way they present themselves, and the way they live. If you choose to live in a thin body, a fat body, a body tattooed entirely blue to appear like a smurf, that is your own choice. But the point is to be happy with it.

If you are happy with yourself, then you are without doubt. You know who you are, and you are the person you want to be. No matter what comments may come your way, and how hurtful they may be, you can take solace in yourself.

I'm not one to take the easy path, especially when it comes to my appearance and how I present myself. When I was 6, I demanded to be Elvira for the halloween party at my Catholic kindergarten. When I was 8, I cut my eyebrows off because I did not like the natural arch they had. When I was 12, I dyed my hair purple. Last year, I had dreadlocks that were burgundy, purple, and hot pink. I'm not conventional. I've been the brunt of many jokes, and been bullied for much of my youth. I was happy with myself. I defended myself, and continued doing what made me happy. I learned that nothing else matters beyond that.

Not everyone is like me, and thank goodness. But I believe the same belief holds true. If you are happy, nothing else matters. Because of this belief, I think it's silly to be PC. It may be trendy, but it is not honest. That is not to say that words like "nigger" or "faggot" are acceptable terms, but rather that comments like "if you are fat, hit the gym" should not be ones which insight duels. Not every word spoken can be filled with rainbows and peace signs and butterflies, and I don't think they should be. Life is art and art is expression.

If a comment like the one Ms Palmer made offends, even though it was not directed at anyone in particular, then they are not happy. They are insecure. They are offended because they have labelled themself in a negative way, but do not wish others to label them similarly. If you feel you are "fat" and not beautiful, do what you need to so that you may become beautiful in your own eyes. Those are the eyes that matter. And once you believe you are beautiful, you won't care what others say.

I hope that I have made some semblance of sense. Even if it isn't agreeable, I hope it is at least understood.

Until another day.



No comments:

Post a Comment